Medicare’s Extra Help program
At Humana Pharmacy®, we understand paying for your prescription medicines can add up quickly throughout the year. This is why we work hard to keep the cost of your medicines affordable by offering $0 copays on most generic 90-day prescriptions and finding low-cost alternatives for costly medicines.
However, for some, we understand that you need more help to stay on track with your care. So, we wanted to make sure you knew about Medicare’s Extra Help program. The Extra Help program provides added financial support to people with limited income and resources, as well as the following benefits:1
- $0 or reduced drug coverage premiums and lower out-of-pocket costs
- No coverage gap
- No late enrollment penalty for Medicare prescription drug coverage
How do I know if I am eligible for Extra Help?
Depending on your income and resources, you may qualify for Medicare’s Extra Help program. Qualifying limits are adjusted annually. For 2021, your income must be limited to $19,320 in yearly income ($26,130 for a married couple), and your resources must be limited to $14,790 ($29,520 for a married couple) to qualify.2
Resources that count toward the limit include:3,4
- Money in your checking and saving accounts
- Stocks and bonds
- Retirement accounts
- Real estate you own other than your primary home
Resources that are not part of this limit include:5,6
- Your primary home
- Your cars
- Burial plots
- Furniture and other household or personal items
If you have full Medicaid coverage, those receiving Supplemental Security Income and those who receive help from a Medicare Savings Program are automatically qualified for Extra Help.7 However, if you don’t automatically qualify, you can still apply for Medicare’s Extra Help program.
How do I apply?
To apply, you’ll need to complete Social Security’s application by:8
- Applying online
- Calling Social Security at 800-772-1213 (TTY: 800-325-0778)
- Applying at your local Social Security office
If you need additional support with completing this application, a caregiver can help on your behalf or by calling the number above. Once you apply, your application will be reviewed by Social Security, and then they will send you a letter to let you know if you qualify for Extra Help.
Save with mail-delivery
You may save money by getting your medicines by mail with Humana Pharmacy. To see which of your medicines can be lowered by Humana Pharmacy, sign in to HumanaPharmacy.com or activate your online account.
1. “Medicare Low Income Subsidy: Get Extra Help Paying for Part D,” National Council on Aging, last accessed September 30, 2021, https://www.ncoa.org/article/medicare-low-income-subsidy-get-extra-help-paying-for-part-d.
2. “Understanding the Extra Help With Your Medicare Prescription Drug Plan,” Social Security Administration, last accessed October 18, 2021, https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10508.pdf.
3. “Lower prescription costs,” Medicare.gov, last accessed October 18, 2021, https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/get-help-paying-costs/lower-prescription-costs.
4. “Understanding the Extra Help With Your Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.”
5. “Lower prescription costs.”
6. “Understanding the Extra Help With Your Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.”
7. “Lower prescription costs.”
8. “Understanding the Extra Help With Your Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.”
Disclaimers: This material is provided for informational use only and should not be construed as medical advice or used in place of consulting a licensed medical professional. You should consult with your doctor to determine what is right for you.